The Waterfront which is a living example of how the very old can be successfully combined with the very new: the Old Port with its Dock warehouses and the Gothic Drassanes or shipyards have been preserved and incorporated into a remodelled recreational area, with the Aquarium, the World Trade Centre, restaurants and cinemas.
Montjuich Hill with its parks, art galleries, museums and the 1992 Olympic Ring of sports stadiums also provides spectacular views over the city. We will visit the charming Poble Espanyol, with about 45 minutes free time to see the village and have lunch.
- Old Port: Separated from the Olympic port by long beaches and the old fisherman's quarter, Barceloneta.
Columbus Monument: built in his honour in 1888, it is at the foot of the famous Rambla.
- Gothic Drassanes: Medieval shipyards which now house the Maritime Museum. One of the finest examples of civil Gothic architecture in Europe.
- World Trade Center: original imposing building by Henry N. Cobb whose aesthetic features are highlighted by the building being surrounded by water.
- Mirador de Miramar (Lookout): This terrace is a balcony over the Mediterranean with spectacular views over the harbour and the whole city. The bus will stop here to let you walk around and get the best viewpoints.
- Olympic Ring: Central sports facilities of the '92 Olympic Games, the complex includes the Stadium, the St Jordi sports pavilion by architect Arata Isozaki, the INEF by architect Ricardo Bofill and the Calatrava Communications Tower.
- Final place on the tour so people who so wish can stay for as long as they like. Built for the 1929 Exhibition, you can see replicas of streets, squares, monuments and buildings from around the country. It is an open air museum with many artists and craftsmen you can watch at work, synthesyzing traditional crafts with modern design: glass, ceramics, jewellery, fabrics, etc. There are also many bars and restaurants, where you can stop for lunch as you will have about 45 minutes free time.
After lunch, the tour will return to Plaça Catalunya and link with the Montserrat Tour for those who wish to see this special monastery and mountain.