The fortress (or a citadel) in Hvar town, perched on a hill above the old town was built at the beginning of the 16th century (in the time of Venice). In 1579 it was restored after explosion of powder-chamber. Its final appearance came after many reconstructions. During French rule some additional reinforcement building was done. The barracks and observation post were built during Austrian rule. It hosts a prominent collection of amphorae and other objects from the ancient times and the Middle Ages. From the fortress toward the town square lead the city walls, built in the Middle Ages. This fortress dominates over the city. There is a beautiful panorama view of the town of Hvar and Pakleni Islands from the fortress.