The historic theatre is located on the upper floor of the Arsenal building. It was built in 1612, during the reign of Prince Pietro Semitecolo. Above the entrance is the inscription: ANNO SECVNDO PACIS MDCXII. The year 1612, indicated in the inscription, was the second year of peace between the community's feuding social classes that had been fighting each other for decades. The auditorium with boxes was built in 1803, when the Theatre Association was founded. The theatre has its present Neo-Baroque appearance only since the mid-19th century. Two murals have been preserved inside the building: the fresco of an unknown city from 1819, which is on the stage wall, and a wall painting from 1900 depicting the Governor's Palace, which was restored and mounted onto movable panels.
The Historic Theatre