Town Walls

5 star rating:Very Good (4.9/5 based on 7 reviews)
The ramparts of Korčula are first mentioned in the Statutes of the city dating back to the thirteenth century, when they were probably already standing in their present place. Their circumference was about 750 metres. Apart from them, the city was protected by numerous towers: the older ones were square and those built later, at the end of the fifteenth century, were circular or semi-circular. The names of these towers changed, especially if they were reconstructed. From the end-sixteenth century, when the Turkish threat weakened, Venice (the ruler of Korčula at the time) neglected the upkeep of this large fortification complex. The walls were in very poor condition at the beginning of the nineteenth century when they came under the jurisdiction of the Austrian Military Administration, which turned them over to the Commune of Korčula in 1869. From that period dates a detailed description and floor plan of the ramparts. The Commune decided to dismantle the delapidated towers and wall segments, and this was done between 1873-1880. Thus disappeared the north-eastern part of the the ramparts and three towers in this part of the city, as well as the bastion adjacent to the Zakerjan (Berim) tower. The remaining towers were rented to private owners. At the beginning of the twentieth century the ramparts along the western seashore were lowered and some dismantled. In 1863 a new bridge was built to enable access to the city from the south. In 1907 a flight of steps was added to the western gate. Extant today are four square, three semi-circular and three circular towers, the Arsenal, the public cistern in the western ramparts, the inner circle of the southern ramparts supported by sixteen arches and part of the external wall in the same location.

Town Walls - Reviews



Our recommended activities for Korčula (Island Korčula)