Four Wells Square

5 star rating:Very Good (4.9/5 based on 11 reviews)

In the center of Sibenik, 50 meters from the cathedral of St. James, with an entrance opposite the entrance to the cathedral, behind high stone walls, is a hidden plateau with the old water supply facility called 'four wells', that operated until the middle of the last century. Inhabitants of Sibenik built the cistern because of frequent droughts, and military siege. The contract on construction was concluded in 1446, and construction was supervised by famous Juraj Dalmatian. The tank could hold 28 000 barrels of water, and a special tax was introduced in order to be built. After a decade in which was forgotten and abandoned, conservators reconstructed all four stone well crowns, and renovated the floor that got the look it once had. The space can accommodate several hundreds of people and is ideal as a summer stage commemorative for smaller concerts, plays and  shows. Renewed center received an award for originality in the presentation of cultural heritage in 2004 from the Croatian Tourist Board.

Four Wells Square - Reviews



Our recommended activities for Šibenik