Trogir cathedral is one of the most famous monuments of Trogir and UNESCO protected world heritage. The Cathedral of St. Lawrence is a Roman Catholic triple-naved basilica constructed in Romanesque-Gothic style. Since its construction lasted several centuries, it illustrates all the styles that succeeded one another in Dalmatia. It serves now as the most imposing monument in the city of Trogir.
It was built on the foundations of an earliy-Christian cathedral destroyed in the 12th century during the sack of the town by theSaracens in 1123. The present building was begun in 1213 and finished during the 17th century. Like the older one, it is also dedicated to St. Lawrence (Sveti Lovro) but it is bettern known as St. John's Cathedral (Sveti Ivan)
Trogir cathedral is the most archaic example in the construction of interior arcades in Dalmatia with heavy elongated piers separating the two Gothic-ribbed aisles from the nave, vaulted later also in Gothic style in the 15th century, bthree semi-circular apses and a vaulted interior above which rises the Campanile. Unfortunately, only one of the two planned towers (the southern), was raised. The cross vaults and the earlier terraces above the aisles are of Apulian influence.