Zagreb funicular connects the Upper and Lower Town. The lower station is located in Tomićeva Street, and the upper station at Strossmayer promenade, at the foot of the tower Lotrščak. 66 meters long, it is known as the shortest public transport wire railway in the world. Its continuous operation began in 1893, steam-powered at first, and later on electrical power.
The story of the funicular railway started by Mr. D. W. Klein, who stood under the stairs in todays Tomićeva Street in 1888, and began tracking the frequency of pedestrians. He came to the conclusion that in this street more people ascend to the Upper Town, than, for example, Mesnicka or Radic streets, so he tought it would be great to build a funicular by the model of other European cities. Shortly after he filed an application for a building permit, the works soon set off, and the rest is history.
Today, the funicular, with its two carriages, with a total capacity of 56 passengers, is one of the main tourist attractions.